Our Historic Buildings:
- More than a historic site, the four-acre Sharlot Hall Museum is a heritage site with 11 exhibit buildings — six of which are historic — and each with distinctive exhibits and displays that describe its history and its impact on the development of the West Central Highlands of Arizona.
- The crown jewel of the Museum grounds is the original Arizona Territorial Governor's Mansion, proudly standing in the same place where it was built in 1864. It was the original home and first Territorial office for the governor and secretary, and was the Museum's original home.
- First stop on your self-guided tour is the Lawler Exhibit Center. Get to know Museum founder Sharlot Mabridth Hall through an exhibit in the foyer revealing her life and passions. She was a woman ahead of her times in many ways, yet with a keen sense of history. Travel back in time - 13,000 years - to the Pleistocene Epoch to "walk in the armpit of Mastodons" and other giant beasts of the time; learn about the first Americans, including the Clovis people, as well as the development of the Prescott Culture. From the post-Ice Age to first human habitation to the coalescence of indigenous peoples through the late 1300s - learn the roots of early Arizona.
- After visiting the Governor's Mansion, discover the "house of a thousand hands" - the Sharlot Hall Building. Many of the Museum's original exhibits and dioramas are housed in this large, stone building built in 1936 as a project of the Civil Works Administration. This building also served as Sharlot Hall's home for a period. Included are displays tracing the mining, ranching, railroading, and military days of Central Arizona, as well as the culture and history of the native people as told through their 'burden baskets.'
- Completed in 1875, the Frémont House was built with local, milled lumber when the town of Prescott was little more than a decade old. At that time it was considered one of the more desirable residences in town. John Charles Frémont found it a suitable residence while he served as the fifth territorial governor of Arizona (1878-1881). In 1971 it was moved from its original location in downtown Prescott to the Museum grounds where it was restored to its original magnificence.
- The Bashford House is a Victorian treasure that houses the Museum's gift store. It is the only one of Prescott's many Victorian houses that is regularly open to the public.
- From a vintage stagecoach to Sharlot Hall's own 1927 Durant Star Touring Car, the Transportation Building will stir the imagination of visitors of every age.
Additional Exhibit Buildings:
- Library and Archives: Across the street from the Museum exit (and the Bashford House) is the world-class research library and archives of the Museum. Thousands of pictures, rare old books, and display artifacts combine with state-of-the-art research technology to provide a wealth of information available to scholars, authors, and "the curious" investigators of Arizona history. The Library and Archives are in the McCormick building at 115 South McCormick Street - due east of the Transportation Building.
- Orchard Ranch: An informational kiosk at the entrance of the Orchard Ranch RV Park on Hwy. 69 east of Prescott Valley marks the location of Sharlot Hall’s family homestead, called Orchard Ranch. The site also includes a cabin constructed with wood from the Hall home.