Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden
VIRGINIA ALLEN HITE ROBBINS

Virgie was born on December 6, 1887, in Eureka Springs Arkansas, the daughter of Fannie Fern Fitzsimmons and Marion Francis Hite. In 1901, when she was 14, she came to Arizona and stayed for two and one-half years with her uncle, D. S. V. Fitzsimmons and his family.

Virgie was graduated from Tecumseh High School in Nebraska and immediately returned to Arizona and attended the Teachers College in Tempe, where she participated in many sports and qualified for a teaching position in the public schools by taking a full-day examination. She taught at Crown King ($75 a month for a nine-month term), Groom Creek, Granite Mountain and Williamson Valley

In 1910, romance and marriage claimed Virgie. On October 12 she became the wife of Robert "Bob" Monroe Robbins, a Yavapai County Sheriff. Her surviving sons Bob, Dick and Thomas also became qualified teachers. One son, Theodore, died at age three.

During World War II, Virgie taught at Red Rock near Sedona and also at a school near Cottonwood. Virgie was a member of the Congregational Church and the Yavapai Cowbelles and belonged to the Elks Ladies and to the Mother's Club as well as to the Auxiliary of United Spanish War Veterans.

Echoes of the Past, published by the Yavapai Cowbelles, has an article about Virgie in Volume 1, titled "A Teacher of 1906." There is a picture with an article in the August 1959 issue of Arizona Highways. A fine horsewoman, Virgie broke several horses of her own and rode racehorses at the county fair as well as during Frontier Days in the rodeo.

Her chief virtues were kindness and love, and her children always wanted to be home and have their friends with them. She was remembered as a kind and generous wife, mother and friend.

Virgie's name is on the white granite cornerstone laid by her great uncle Tom Fitzsimmons at the southwest corner of Washington Street. Her sister, "Cappy" Bozarth, is also represented in the Rose Garden.

Virgie died on April 5, 1959, and was buried in Mountain View Cemetery

Donors: Mr. and Mrs O. Bozarth, Yavapai Cowbelles and Bobbie, Dick and Thomas


Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.