|Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden|
SARAH CATHERINE MORRISON MCKENZIE
Sadie was born September 11, 1851, in Marietta, Gurnsey County, Ohio, the daughter of Alexander and Ellen Maxwell Morrison. Married to an Ohio farmer named Rowland at age 13 and a mother at 14, Sadie had five children before her husband's death.
She left Ohio with her eldest and youngest sons and joined a wagon train from Independence, Missouri, headed for the goldfields of Cripple Creek, Colorado. She ran a boarding house there but stayed only for a short time.
Sarah and her sons came to Prescott in 1884 where she managed a boarding house in Minnehaha Flat in the Bradshaw Mountains. She married mining promoter and prospector John M. McKenzie on April 27, 1890, in Prescott. The McKenzies had two children: Lillis McKenzie McNeely (1891) and George Alexander McKenzie (1893). In about 1900, the McKenzies moved into Prescott so the children could more easily attend school. They purchased a house at 603 S. Granite Street in 1906.
After her husband's death in 1908, Sadie raised her two younger children working as a housekeeper and laundress. She was a member of the First Church of Christ. In her later years, Sadie made a hobby of braiding rugs. A strong and independent woman, Sadie worked hard all of her long life, raised two families, buried two husbands, and outlived all but one of her children. She died at age 95 on February 24, 1947,in Prescott and was buried in Mountain View Cemetery.
Donors: Lois Long and Jane McKenzie
|Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.|