|Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden|
MINNIE ELLEN WHITE WEBSTER
Minnie, daughter of Fergus John and Mary Ellen (Dwyer) White, was born on May 12, 1884, in Minnehaha, Yavapai County, Arizona Territory. In 1883, Fergus had established his family on a 160-acre homestead in Minnehaha, where the family survived by selling meat to various Bradshaw mines, such as Crown King. Fergus died in 1895, but Mary Ellen and her children remained to run the ranch themselves.
Minnie attended St. Joseph’s Academy in Prescott, Arizona. After moving to the Phoenix, Arizona, area, she married Arthur Richmond Webster in St. Mary’s Catholic Church in Phoenix, Arizona, on October 2, 1916. The couple had five children: Mary Ellen Wood, Honora Blanche Webster, Kathryn Abbie Webster, also known as Sister Mary Arnoldine, Barbara Monica Piano and Francis Margaret Webster, also known as Sister Mary Leo.
Minnie and Arthur lived on Buckeye Road in the Phoenix area, where they owned and operated a dairy. As the wife of a Justice of the Peace, Minnie orchestrated banquets designed to gather support for her political candidates and to publicize the needs of her Tolleson community. In addition to being a busy housewife and mother, she was an active member of St. Mary’s and St Matthew’s Catholic churches and belonged to the Women’s Club in Tolleson.
Minnie was the grandmother of 25 grandchildren and was a large part in helping to raise them. She died on December 11, 1965, at the home that she and Arthur shared for many years and was buried in St. Francis Cemetery in Phoenix next to Arthur.
Her mother May Ellen Dwyer White and her sister Blanche Julia White are also commemorated in the Rose Garden.
Donor: Barbara Downing, granddaughter 2011
|Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.|