|Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden|
MARY TERESA POWERS PLUMMER
Mary was born on May 19, 1847, in Ieland. She always had a strong Irish accent. She married Michael Joseph Powers, and their son Benjamin Powers was born on January 23, 1874, in Worcester, Massachusetts.
Sometime after the death of Michael, Mary took Benjamin to San Francisco. The 1880 census shows Mary and her son living in Sonoma County, California. It is said that she was a cook at the lumber mills. On January 21, 1882, she married Frank M. Plummer, and the family continued to live in Sonoma, where Frank was a lumberman.
Frank’s cousin Frank M. Murphy was quite an entrepreneur in Prescott. When the Plummer family came to Prescott in 1896, Frank Murphy asked Frank Plummer to serve as superintendent of the Poland Mine and later as baggage master at the railroad station in Prescott. Frank Murphy asked Mary to live at and to be the caretaker of his new wild animal park at the end of Park Avenue. The position ended when the “Park” closed, and the animals were removed.
Mary was a member of the Sacred Heart Catholic Church. Her obituary stated that she was “widely known in the county and enjoyed the affection and esteem of many. In the mining camp or at her home in this city, her life was graced with kindness, generosity and good will toward all.”
Mary died on August 24, 1916, and was buried at Mountain View Cemetery.
Donor: Patricia T. Atchison, great granddaughter
|Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.|