Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden
MARY SEAGO BROOKE
Mary was born January 17, 1898, in New Orleans, Louisiana, the daughter of William and Georgia Mallard Seago. She was graduated from Newcomb College, the women's college of Tulane University. She married Hilliard T. Brooke in 1924 in Prescott, where he was undergoing tuberculosis treatment at Fort Whipple. He later became a mayor of Prescott, a state legislator and owned what became Peterson, Brooke, Steiner and Wist Business Supply.

The couple moved to Phoenix and later to San Francisco, where Mary attended social work school at the University of California. In 1939, she received her master's degree in social work from Tulane University. After a stay in Los Angeles, they returned to Phoenix in 1940 and to Prescott in 1944.

Mary was chief of Social Services at the VA Hospital Medical Center for 23 years. She was instrumental in formation of the Yavapai Symphony Association. On the founding board of Faith House and Planned Parenthood, she helped organize the West Yavapai Guidance Clinic and Alcoholics Anonymous of Prescott.

Mary was the first person appointed to the Arizona Council of Arts and Humanities in 1967, President of the Arizona Conference of Social Welfare,the Arizona Association of University Women, and served on the boards of the American Red Cross and the Salvation Army. Honors awarded her include Social Worker of the Year (1961), National Achievement Award from Kappa Kappa Gamma (1963), Business Woman of the Year (1953), Who's Who of American Women (1962), and Prescott Art Docent of the Year Medallion.

She was member of the Prescott Fine Arts Association and the First Congregational Church. She belonged to the Monday Club. At the time of her death, she lived at 527 S. Hassayampa Drive. She had no children. Mary died on July 25, 1987, and is remembered as "a leading citizen and progressive promoter of the arts and social services in Prescott for 63 years."

Donors: Juanita Soderstrom, Sylvia Neely, Ann Tewksbury


Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.