|MARY DECROW RAMOS|
|Mary was born in August 1819 in Texas. She came to Arizona with Compton Brown and to Prescott in 1864. Her marriage to Cornelio Ramos on January 1, 1865, was the first recorded marriage in Prescott.|
Mary had a boarding house for miners in the log house on Goose Flat on South Montezuma Street. Now known as Fort Misery, the building is located on the grounds of Sharlot Hall Museum. Mary and Cornelio also owned and operated mining claims on Lynx Creek and had a ranch specializing in goats.
Mary was known as Virgin Mary because of her kindness. She was never known to refuse anyone a place at her table whether they could pay or not. She belonged to the Methodist Church.
Her obituary states that "a well-written history of her eventful life would constitute a volume of thrilling interests." She was married to Cornelio, "an honest and industrious citizen of Prescott and lived in utmost happiness and concord until the time of her death."
Mary died on July 7, 1876, at the S. O. Frederick Ranch in Prescott and was buried in Citizens Cemetery.
Donor: Ruth Sparks