|Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden|
MARY BERNADETTE VERKAMP BABBITT
Mary, daughter of Gerhard and Anna Marie Verkamp, was born in Cincinnati, Ohio, in 1865. She married Charles J. Babbitt on February 4, 1891, in Cincinnati, and the couple came to Flagstaff in March of that same year. Charles and his four brothers - Edward, George, William and David - had come to Flagstaff in 1886 and taken up cattle ranching. With the purchase of their first herd of cattle, the brothers decided to establish the C O Bar brand after their home of Cincinnati, Ohio.
Mary and Charles had six children: Helen M., 1891 – 1971; Ruth E., 1893 – 1901; Maurice C., 1897 – 1925; Paul J., 1898 – 1988; James E., 1902 – 1944; and John G., 1908 – 1993.
In addition to being a busy ranch wife, mother and homemaker, Mary was an active member of the Roman Catholic Nativity of Blessed Virgin Mary Church.
Mary died in April 1948 in Los Angeles, California, and was buried in Flagstaff, Arizona.
Donor: James E. Babbitt, grandson
|Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.|