Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden
MARJORIE ANN DICKINSON BACK
"Margie" was born c. 1864, the daughter of Samuel C. and Nancy Jane Green Dickinson, who brought her by wagon train from Missouri. In 1875, when Margie was 11 years old, they arrived in Middle Verde, Yavapai County, Arizona Territory, and in 1876 the family moved to Oak Creek.

She attended the first meeting under the cottonwood tree where "Parson" Bristow preached his first sermon. On December 23, 1878, she married William Beriman Back at Oak Creek. They lived at Montezuma Well Ranch on Beaver Creek.

The Backs had seven children: Fred, Bertha, Harry, Jessie (Mrs. Norval), Cherry, Jennie, William and Mildred (Mrs. Dan Fain). Mrs. Fain is also represented in the Rose Garden.

According to Echoes of the Past, "All hands at the House of Back were busy. There were crops to harvest, and precious fruit and vegetables to put up for the winter months. Like many pioneer families, their home was a haven to other settlers and neighbors as they passed by."

For many years, the Backs kept the Cornville Post Office. The William Back residence is pictured in the Yavapai Magazine, 1914.

Margie died on July 3, 1926.

Donor: Mrs. Mildred Fain


Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.