|Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden|
LOUCINDA JANE CARTER LUCAS WILLIAMS
Loucinda was born on December 13,1872, in Laurel County, Kentucky, the daughter of Cary Lafayette and Mary Jane Spivey Carter. Her first husband, Edmund Andrew Lucas, a country school teacher, died of tuberculosis, leaving Loucinda far from her Kentucky home in Colorado to finish raising their three little girls: Bertha (1893), Grace and Viola Gertrude (1901). She raised a grandson after the death of her oldest daughter in 1918.
Loucinda married Albert E. Williams, a blacksmith, and followed him in his occupation to a western army fort in Wyoming. Later they moved to Arizona, where Albert was employed in George Ruffner's blacksmith shop in Prescott. Though fragile in health, Loucinda stayed in road camps while Albert worked on building many of the roads in northern Arizona during the early 1930s.
During her husband's years of employment at the Little Daisy Mine in Jerome, they lived on one of the "hog backs," and Loucinda did what homemakers did then, her pride being in her husband and children and grandchildren.
Bedridden, as an old lady, Loucinda spent hours reading to her grandchildren from her beloved Bible. Loucinda was documented as a pioneer Arizona quiltmaker, and one of her quilts was on display in Sharlot Hall Museum in 1995-96. She also did beautiful crochet work.
Although a semi-invalid most of her adult life, she functioned as a good neighbor and church worker. She belonged to the Assembly of God Church when it was on Montezuma Street. She lived at 134 South McCormick Street, 824 Valley Street and 527 West Street in Prescott.
Loucinda died on December 25, 1955, in Prescott and was buried in Mountain View Cemetery.
Donor: Ann Tewksbury; August 1996
|Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.|