|Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden|
FRIEDA MARGARETHA SCHUERMAN LOY
Frieda Margaretha Schuerman, daughter of Johann Georg Heinrich and Karoline Dorothe Schuerman, was born April 12,1898, at Oak Creek Ranch near present day Sedona, Arizona. Frieda's parents were German immigrants who had limited English-speaking abilities.
She attended grade school on the ranch where she was born. The school had been started by her father for all the children from the surrounding areas. Frieda then went to Prescott, where she stayed with Mrs. William Lloyd to attend High School. After the first year, she had to return home because World War I had taken all the men to war, and there was no one left to help her father and mother on the ranch.
After the war, Frieda married Myron Samual Loy, a rancher and farmer, on December 2, 1924. Myron and Frieda had two children: Sherman Adelbert, born in 1926, and Martha Joan, born in 1932.
The Loys lived on the homesteaded property Frieda had inherited from her father in the same house her father had built. During those years as wife and mother, Frieda was active with the happenings in the neighborhood. On occasion a "box supper" and dance would be held at the Red Rock School House. She would play the piano for those happy get-togethers.
She was an over-50-year member of the Eastern Star, which had started in Jerome. Her brother was a Mason. In later years, she became an active member in the Homemakers Club, serving as president of that group several times. Frieda was an excellent seamstress and did sewing and alterations for other people.
As long as her daughter can remember, Frieda was interested in art. At about age 50, she took art lessons which she enjoyed very much. Many relatives and friends are proud owners of her paintings. An article and picture of Frieda, standing with a painting in hand by the old house in the red rocks in which she had lived her entire life, was published in Grit Magazine.
Frieda died on December 31, 1983, on the family ranch and was buried in the Cottonwood (Arizona) Cemetery.
Donor: Martha J. Loy
|Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.|