Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden
FLORENCE HEARNE BROOKHART YOUNT

Florence, who was known as Pat, was born on March 5, 1909, in Washington, Iowa, the daughter of Jennie Hearne and Smith Wildman Brookhart. She received her M. D. from The George Washington University in Washington, D. C. in 1935. There she met Clarence Edgar Yount, Jr. , also a physician.

After they both completed their internships, they were married in the Brookhart home in Washington, Iowa, in June 1936, and honeymooned in Prescott.
Pat spent a year interning at Children's Hospital in Chicago.

Pat's practice was always in Prescott where she was a favorite "baby" doctor, delivering three generations of babies and taking loving care of them until they were grown. She had a son, John Edward, born September 6, 1940. Pat belonged to the Methodist Artists Guild, contributing her talent as an artist in pastels. Their home was at 331 (339) Park Avenue.

Always interested in all phases of the history of Prescott and Arizona, Pat wrote many articles and researched the subjects thoroughly. She was most instrumental in the establishment of the Women's Territorial Memorial Rose Garden at Sharlot Hall Museum. In recognition of her dedication to this project, the Board of Trustees of the Sharlot Hall Museum voted for her inclusion among its honorees in 1996.

Pat died in November 1988 and was buried in Mountain View Cemetery.

Donor: Ann Tewksbury
May 21, 1996




Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.