|Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden|
EVELYN EDITH DUNCAN PERKINS
Evelyn, the daughter of Josephine Cowdrey and Joseph Thomas Duncan, was born on February 12, 1894, in Excelsior Springs, Missouri. She attended Drake University and later Kansas University, where she graduated in 1917.
Evelyn came to Arizona in 1921 to teach in the high school in Williams. An account in the book "Cowchips and Calluses" listed her school board as consisting of a saloon owner, a bartender, a fiddler at the saloon, the town bootlegger and a "nondescript fellow without any special job."
On May 2, 1923, Evelyn married Marion Nicholas "Nick" Perkins in Williams and moved to Perkinsville, where she organized and taught in the school. The couple had four sons: Marion, Jr., Stanley Ben (born at Mrs. Mary Cummings Maternity Home on South McCormick St., August 26, 1926), Thomas and David. Her loyalty and devotion to Nick, their sons and their way of life was a lesson to those who knew her.
Over the years, Evelyn extended hospitality to all who came to their ranch. Genealogy gave her many hours of pleasure and many new friends, as did the collection of arrowheads and Indian artifacts found on the ranch.
She was a correspondent for the Smithsonian Institution in regard to archaeological discoveries in the area. A gallant, brave and generous woman with a brilliant mind, Evelyn is credited with the idea for the Rose Garden at Sharlot Hall Museum. She was a charter member of the Arizona and Yavapai Cowbelles, a member of the Chino Valley Community Church and the Rebekah Lodge.
Evelyn died on February 25, 1970, and was buried in Mountain View Cemetery.
Donor: Yavapai Cowbelles.
|Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.|