|Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden|
ELSIE MURIEL LOVE JOHNSON
Elsie, daughter of Rosa Baker and William Henderson Love, was born May 20, 1896, in Prescott, Arizona Territory. She attended St. Joseph’s Academy her first two years of school, and, when her parents moved to a ranch outside of Humboldt, she attended Humboldt Elementary School and graduated from Prescott High School.
After high school, Elsie worked part time in the Humboldt Post Office and the Humboldt Wingfield store on Main Street where she met Nelson Johnson, who was working as the general manager of the store. On October 27, 1917, Elsie and Nels were married in the parlor of the Head Hotel on Cortez Street in Prescott.
The couple had two children: Nelson Richard, born August 16, 1921, and Beverly Jean Shuck, born November 30, 1932. Nels entered the army in 1918, and after he came home he worked at the smelter until it closed and the family moved to Cottonwood.
Elsie was a member of the Cottonwood Civic Club. In 1938, Nels purchased the Wingfield store in Humboldt and renamed it the Leeway Department Store. After Nelson finished Clarkdale High School, Elsie and the children moved back to Humboldt to join Nels, and the couple bought a home on Hecla Street.
Elsie was a member of the American Legion Women, Lady Elks and Democratic Committee of Prescott. Elsie loved gardening and had a flower garden wherever she lived and shared her flowers with her neighbors. She was a reporter for the Prescott Courier on Humboldt weekly news.
Elsie died on May 6, 1970, in Mesa, Arizona and was buried in Green Acres Memorial Gardens in Mesa, Arizona.
Donor: Beverly Shuck, daughter
|Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.|