Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden
AMELIA HENRY OLDERSHAW
Amelia, daughter of George Samuel and Anna Maria Bartlett Henry, was born on March 8, 1902, in Prescott, Arizona Territory. The Henry family and the Love family were neighbors and very close friends during the 1900s.

Ernest Love’s two little sisters had died on the same night during an epidemic shortly before Amelia was born. Amelia, at six months of age and her sister Ola, then about three years old, became Ernest’s “little sisters.” Amelia wrote that he came to her house regularly to play with Ola and often took Amelia around the neighborhood in her baby buggy, as he had done with his own little sisters.

The Henry family moved to a home at 605 Maple Street that George had built. An architect and contractor, he also built many of the buildings in Prescott including the Odd Fellows Hall. Ernest still came to the new home to visit his adopted sisters and often brought his burro along to give the girls a ride. He gave Amelia an odd, ugly “runt” of a colored bird that Mrs. Love didn’t want. Mrs. Love raised canaries and other songbirds as her hobby. Amelia loved the ugly little thing and named him Snookums. Snookums grew into a beautiful green canary with a lovely voice.

Amelia attended Prescott High School and did secretarial and clerical work for the Favour and Baker Law firm during high school. After graduating from high school in 1918, she moved to Berkley, California, where she attended the University of California for two years. She became an employee of the university library, where she worked for many years.

Amelia married Basil Richard Oldershaw on August 20, 1923. The couple had one son, George Daubeney, born July 25, 1926. Her niece, Marjorie Prince, wrote that besides being a loving and surrogate grandmother and great-grandmother to her deceased sister’s daughters, her role at the library at UC Berkley was outstanding.

Comments upon her retirement in the Library Newsletter: “During her many years of service, Mrs. Oldershaw became an arm of every branch and department of the library. Because of her understanding of and devotion to the Library’s role in the University, her selection of personnel has always been carefully and thoughtfully managed.

"Her friendliness, sense of responsibility and her judgment are so evident to all who deal with her that she has become a combination personnel officer, chaplain, confidante and counselor to hundreds of employees through the years."

Amelia died on January 10, 2002, in San Pablo, California. Her ashes were scattered just outside the Golden Gate in the Pacific Ocean.

Amelia’s mother, Anna Maria Bartlett Henry, and her sister, Ola Gertrude Henry Pitchford, are also commemorated in the Rose Garden.

Donor: Marjorie J. Prince, niece
January 2005


Additional documentation and photographs may be available in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library.