| The Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden is
dedicated to those women of Arizona who prepared the way for
The suggestion that a memorial rose garden be established on the grounds of the Sharlot Hall Museum was first made in 1938 by Mrs. Nick Perkins. However, it was not until 1948 that the president of the Prescott Garden Club, Dorothy McMullen, presented her design for the garden to the Historical Society. Members of the Garden Club then began preparing, planting, and caring for the garden. The first memorial rose bushes were planted in March 1948 by the Yavapai Cowbelles.
In 1974 the garden was removed from its original site south of the Governor's Mansion to its present location on the north side of the Mansion where it can be seen by passers by on Gurley Street.
Originally, each woman was represented by a rose bush. Today, all are honored, including Sharlot M. Hall, by the entire garden and each woman is remembered in the Rose Garden book and exhibit located in the Main Museum Building. This information is organized alphabetically by last name on the right side of this page. Additional biographical information may be found in the Rose Garden Collection, family manuscript and photograph collections, and other genealogical sources housed in the Sharlot Hall Museum Archives and Library. Presently, more than 400 women have been honored, representing nearly all occupation and ethnic backgrounds.
Nomination Form (pdf) for the Territorial Women's Memorial Rose Garden